Cabinetmaking & Wood Technology
Repeated surveys of the woodworking industry have revealed the number one concern facing the industry for the 21st century is the lack of skilled and motivated workers. There is a continual need in the furniture, kitchen cabinet, and architectural millwork industries for persons possessing the skills and knowledge required to produce
The Cabinetmaking and Wood Technology program is committed to continually providing students with the skills and knowledge required for rewarding jobs in the various woodworking industries. Based
Hence, students will produce several pieces of fine furniture after which they will further develop and display their skills by producing an advanced wood project of their choosing. Through the use of the College’s housing project, students will learn to list and produce all the millwork items required for a residential house. Additionally, students will design, produce, finish, and install a complete kitchen. Through the use of lectures, demonstrations, and the above projects, the program faculty feels they can best prepare students for careers in any of the three major woodworking fields: fine furniture, architectural millwork, and kitchen cabinetry.
A graduate of this program will be able to do the following:
- Identify nomenclature and the proper use of hand and portable power tools.
- Apply the knowledge of wood as a material in the proper construction of various fine furniture projects.
- Demonstrate safe practice in the use and setup of trade machinery.
- Demonstrate skill in the use of drafting equipment in order to produce shop drawings.
- Read shop blueprints to develop accurate material lists.
- Demonstrate knowledge of finishing materials along with the skills required for wood finishing including the following: wood preparation, wood coloring using various stains, and top coating using oil finishes, shellacs, varnishes, and lacquers.
- Demonstrate the ability to list and prepare millwork items required for various building projects.
- Demonstrate proficiency in grinding knives for the shaper and molder and the setup of machines for production.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce jigs and fixtures required for production work.
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge necessary for kitchen layout, design, construction, and installation.
- Develop the skills and knowledge required for producing various types of countertops.
- Develop a strong work ethic along with the ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team.
|JOB & SALARY OUTLOOK